Monday, November 11, 2013

"Breaking Assad" (sketch)



Hello, everyone, this is my first actual artwork, if you can call it that.  I'll definitely revisit this once my Photoshop skills get better.
But first, a little background...
In the week before the "Breaking Bad" series finale, Barry Blitt, the cartoonist from THE NEW YORKER, did a magazine cover showing Walter White (Bryan Cranston) walking down into the laboratory to find Bashar Assad (the monstrous tyrant from Syria who is notorious for using chemical weapons on his own people) already messing around in the lab.  I almost immediately got this idea for a parody, "Breaking Assad" (and, as luck would have it, [Ar]senic is #33 on the periodic table!).
Now, I know it's been a month or so since this issue of THE NEW YORKER first hit the shelves (and "Breaking Bad" ended), but what can I say, I've been busy lately. I figured my choices were either (A.) wait until my Photoshop skills improved and post it then, or (B.) just post it now as a "sketch" and do the better Photoshop job later.  As you can see, I went with the latter, but at least now I got the idea and the concept out there.
Naturally, I would like to particularly credit Vince Gilligan and Bryan Cranston (from the series itself) and Barry Blitt (from THE NEW YORKER) for giving me the inspiration for this.  But as for Bashar Assad himself (assuming that he might be reading this from wherever he is)... no, not really.  No warm and fuzzy feelings for him!
As for this being my idea... if anyone wants to borrow or improve upon it, then I say go right ahead!  Let me put it this way: I promise I won't be nearly as possessive or jealous as Walter White was in the series when it came to his own accomplishments!  (Or as dangerous, for that matter...)
That is all for now.
-StellarStylus
P.S.  I would also like to thank my friend and fellow "BrBa" fan, who goes by AbdhitanMireen on DeviantArt, for her own feedback and input!

ORIGINAL CARTOON: http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2013/09/cover-story-barry-blitt-bad-chemistry.html

(Cross-posted here with my DeviantArt account.)

No comments:

Post a Comment