Monday, August 21, 2017

"Imperfect Eclipse" (a poem for the Great Eclipse of 2017)

Yeah, yeah, I know, I've been away for far too long...

So, the Great Eclipse of 2017 was today, and I just had to write a poem for the occasion.  It just had to be done today.

And so, without further ado...

"Imperfect Eclipse"

Everyone was talking about it,
the first rare solar eclipse in a century,
and everything from gear to vantage points
everyone prepared in a hurry.

Unfortunately, I was held back indoors at work,
so outdoors I could not see the eclipse,
because I was needed here for the usual work,
heeding the orders from my bosses' lips.

And yet, unfortunately enough,
had I been allowed to step out and go forth,
I would not have seen its full splendor anyway-
a consequence of living too far north.

But luckily, I saw it from the window,
my eyes safely shielded by passing clouds:
a great map of ice floes floating in the sky,
filtering harmful rays through fine wispy shrouds.

It hung there, shining high in the sky,
an imposter of a bright moon crescent...
there was no way I would miss this sight,
this rare and fleeting celestial present.

Of course, nothing really went as planned,
because nothing in life is ever perfect,
but I'm truly grateful to have seen it,
even with my circumstances imperfect

And so all the heavenly bodies
continue their dance through the universe,
and with me having written these words,
I conclude this humble poem with this final verse.

No comments:

Post a Comment